History of Duluth, Georgia
Duluth, established in the 19th century, is a city in Gwinnett County in the US State of Georgia. It is a suburb of Atlanta, which as of the 2010 census had a population of 26,600. The US Census Bureau estimated the population to be 29,331 as of 2016.
Origins of Duluth
Duluth was originally a territory inhabited by the Cherokee, an indigenous people who were concentrated in southwestern North Carolina, southeastern Tennessee, and the tips of western South Carolina and northeastern Georgia before the 18th century.
An Indian trail, which the settlers nicknamed the Old Peachtree Road, was extended through Duluth during the War of 1812 to connect Fort Peachtree in present-day Atlanta with Fort Daniel near present-day Dacula.
More white settlers moved to Gwinnett County when it was established in 1818.
Evan Howell, a cotton merchant, constructed a road to link his cotton gin at the Chattahoochee River with Old Peachtree Road, creating Howell’s Cross Roads.
The settlement started being referred to as “Howell’s Crossing.” Howell was the grandfather of former Atlanta Mayor Evan P. Howell and great-grandfather of Atlanta Constitution publisher the late Clark Howell.
Howell’s descendants still live in Duluth although only Howell Ferry Road bears his name in the city.
Railroad era and Duluth’s new name
Howell’s Crossing was later renamed “Duluth” in 1871 after Congress funded a north-south rail line into the community. Georgia’s Duluth got its name from the city of Duluth, Minnesota.
Minnesota’s Duluth was named after Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut (1636–1710), a French captain and explorer of the upper Midwest, who negotiated peace between the Chippewa and the Sioux nation.
History has it that Evan P. Howell jokingly suggested the name change in a speech about the arrival of railroad service in the Georgia town. It is this railway, which encouraged the growth of Duluth’s economy.
Post-war and modern era
Duluth grew rapidly in the 1970s and 1980s, along with the rest of Gwinnett County. A major revitalization of the Duluth downtown area was undertaken in the early 21st century. Development along Sugarloaf Parkway has continued with the construction of the Gwinnett Arena near the Gwinnett Convention Center.
Duluth, whose Gwinnett County was still rural, was one of the few small towns with its hospital, Joan Glancy Memorial Hospital in much of the 20th century.
Many older residents of the area who call other cities home were born in Duluth.
Gwinnett Medical Center – Duluth replaced Joan Glancy in 2006. The site of the old Joan Glancy Hospital is now GMC’s Glancy Campus, home to the Glancy Rehabilitation Center, the Duluth location of GMC’s Diabetes and Nutrition Education Center and the Duluth location of GMC’s Center for Sleep Disorders. We at Georgia Roof Pro, top roofing company in Duluth, GA are extremely proud to be part of this community.